Monday, May 25, 2009

Fixing iTunes to get CD track names info once again

On a MacBookPro, iTunes suddenly stopped being to download the track information on a CD I wanted to rip, giving the error "Unable to connect tothe CDDB server". I have iTunes setup so that when I insert a CD, it automatically rips it and then ejects it. Only now it could not get the CD or track info. I had ripped hundreds of CDs (my own of course). ITunes was reasonably upto date at version 8.0.2.

It wasn't the network connection.

Doing a google search, leads one to possibly try an update to the gracenote software, as gracenote is the company that runs the CDDB information service. But the update was for windows, not Mac OS.

And it turned out to be my firewall settings. You have to let iTunes "share" its information. Turn this on via: System Preferenes | Sharing | Firewall | iTunes Music Sharing.

No comments: