Sunday, February 3, 2013

Installing the Win 8 boot loader on a hard drive

Situation: I upgraded Win XP to Win 8 Pro and installed Win 8 to a new blank HD.  Win XP was on the "old" hard D: and Win 8 is now on C:.  The problem is that the Win 8 installer put the boot loader for Win 8 on the old drive D:, so I need to have both hard drives in the system.  I want to remove D: from the system, since I won't be using it anymore.  Thus, 
I needed to install the Win 8 boot loader on a target drive C:
As copied from Justin Coon's reply in this posting, the steps you need are
  1. Boot into Win 8, with both hard drives.
  2. Mark the target drive as active, in Disk Management, via
    • Control Panels | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management  ... or ...
    • On the Desktop | Win + X key | Disk Management
    • right click on C: 
    • Mark Partition as Active
  3. Install the boot loader on C: via
    bcdboot
    windows-root-folder /s
    target-drive-to-boot-from,
    namely in my case 

    bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
  4. And that should do it.  Shutdown Win 8.  Power off your machine.  Remove the old hard drive D:, and then power up.