Saturday, February 1, 2014

Linux: Samba starts before eth0 is up and will not serve... ack.

My main SMB server, call it sammy, was upgraded to Linux Mint 13 system, but it was not serving.

I noticed that after I started the system (sammy), but before I had logged in, I could not ssh into sammy.  After logging in to sammy on the console, I was able to ssh into it.  It was a surprise to not find it from other SMB clients.

After much debugging, the main clue came when I was on the SMB server, sammy.  Connecting via localhost loopback IP address, I see the SMB service fine when I ran
  smbclient -L localhost -N
but when I tried to connect via the ether IP address, nothing showed up 
  smbclient -L sammy -N   I

The long and short of it was samba was starting before the ethernet interface was getting assigned, so the smb server was unaware of that interface.  Restarting samba solved the problem via
   service smbd restart
   service nmbd restart

No comments: