Friday, January 16, 2009

Adventures with Netflix and the postal service

Here are some of the incidents I've had with Netflix and the postal system:

Netflix's fault: I almost always mail 2 DVDs back in the same envelope. This saves them on postage since I use half the number of envelopes. On a few occasions, they indicated they got disk A but not disk B. This is one of the few cases where I know their computers or scanners messed up. They clearly got them both, but missed one. In every case, later that day or the next day they noticed disk B. I assume the scan-in missed disk B but on the scan-out to the next customer they notice the disk and realize it had been returned.

On several occasions I've had disks not arrive on time. I usually wait 3 extra days. It arrives about half the time, but the other half it never arrives. Netflix is really good and has never given me any hassle about lost disks. Probably because they are a small percentage of all my rentals.

I try to rent movies the moment they are released, before the masses realize it.
The most recent snafu was when I got all but one disk on the expected date. Several of the envelopes were partially torn. And of course, the one disk I didn't get was the one I wanted most. I was hoping the disk would arrive the next day, but instead I got mail from Netflix indicating they had received this back from me! Ack. So I've put it back on my queue and probably won't get it for another 6-8 weeks.

And finally, despite the tone of this post, a big shout out to the US Postal Service. I know empirically over 95% of all the Netflix mailings get to me and also get returned in 1 day. It's really first class service.

No comments: